WHAT IS SAGE?
SAGE is a place-based network of community members and organizations committed to improving the lives of Sweet Auburn residents through community-led advocacy and investment promoting equitable development, environmental sustainability, and the centering of Black culture.
Learn more about SAGE in this conversation with Chenee Joseph, Executive Director of the HDDC and WCLK 91.9 FM’s Kiplyn Primus.
WHAT WE HELP ADVANCE
WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON
- Develop community ambassadors for stronger engagement and empower of the community
- Provide coordinated community organizing around policy and planning issues
- Create a community resource hub
- Build community gardens to enhance connectivity and urban resilience
- Connect homeowners to funds for weatherization and energy savings
- Provide startup support for urban agriculture businesses in Sweet Auburn
- Create programs to provide residents and families with community health and wellness tools
INVEST TO BUILD COMMUNITY WEALTH, INCREASE AFFORDABILITY, RAISE UP LOCAL BUSINESSES, AND MITIGATE DISPLACEMENT
- Establish a mechanism for community ownership of commercial property
- Develop an affordable commercial space in the neighborhood
- Support the preservation of existing affordable housing
- Support and empower individuals experiencing housing insecurity or homelessness
- Expand access to resources for small business owners at all stages
- Help property owners access financing and partners for historic preservation
- Complete development of the Hero Walk
- Activate John Wesley Dobbs Plaza through art, tactical greening, and temporary programming
- Commission public art that celebrates the neighborhood’s history and culture.
- Host regular community events that celebrate and promote the neighborhood